Rules and Regulations Governing Ceremonial and Cooking Fires
Boardman residents are permitted to ignite and enjoy a recreational campfire on their property within the rules set forth in the Boardman Township Fire Prevention Code and for only the following purposes:
- Ceremonial purposes
- Cooking for human consumption
Size and Location of The Fire:
- Ceremonial and cooking fires shall be no larger than 3 feet by 3 feet by 3 feet in dimension and shall not burn more than 3 hours.
- The fire must be a minimum of 25 feet from any building.
Materials Permitted to Burn:
- Fuel for ceremonial or cooking fires shall consist of seasoned dry wood and shall be ignited only with a small quantity of paper.
- No gasoline, kerosene, diesel fuel, lighter fluid, or accelerant of any type can be used to ignite the fire.
- Burn only the amount of material that can be consumed while someone will be monitoring the fire.
- burn the material manner, which will keep the burned material or the firebrands from flying into the air.
Materials NOT Permitted to Burn:
- Fires used for ceremonial or cooking purposes shall not be used for waste disposal purposes.
- Fires shall not contain leaves, rubbish, garbage, trash or any material made of or coated with rubber, plastic, leather or petroleum based materials.
- They shall not contain any flammable or combustible liquids.
- Burning for land clearing is not permitted unless approved by the Ohio EPA.
Fires Must Be Watched At ALL Times:
- A responsible adult shall continuously monitor the fire until it has been extinguished.
- This person shall have some type of fire extinguishing equipment readily available and must completely extinguish the fire before leaving the site.
Fire Department Response:
- The Boardman Fire Department shall dispatch a fire engine to investigate any report of smoke, or possible illegal or offensive open burning. The decision to require the extinguishment of a ceremonial or recreational fire lies solely with the fire department officer.
For more information on open burn policies within Boardman Township, contact the Fire Prevention Bureau at 330-729-9535.
If you plan to burn outside of Boardman Township, you can contact either the Mahoning-Trumbull Pollution Control agency at 330-743-3333 or the Northeast District Office of the Ohio EPA at 330-963-1200.